Functionality in the Warehouse Management module in Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R3 makes it possible to have multi-step work processes. During the receiving process, be aware that you may have multiple steps for the put-away work.
For example, you have a process where you receives inventory and need to put it to a specific staging location before another worker comes along and puts that inventory away to the final put location. A multi-step work process is needed in order to accommodate the process requirements described in the process above.
With the multi-step setup, when inventory is received, the work is created with multiple steps. This gives you the capability to have a more dynamic work process where the system is able to direct inventory to specific in-between locations such as staging locations and then final put locations based upon specifics defined within the location directives.
You also have the option to create work in a way where multiple users are able to execute different steps in the work process. Lets say you have a process where a worker on the floor receives a pallet and moves it to a staging location with a pallet jack. Another worker comes along with a fork lift and put the pallet away to a high bay location.
The ability to configure work processes in Warehouse Management, gives you the flexibility you need to meet more complex process requirements as well as more visibility throughout those work processes.
Work Template (Warehouse Management>Setup>Work>Work Template)
- The work template defines the number of steps that the work will have, the work type of those steps, and other characteristics related to the structure of the work
- If you plan on having different users execute different parts of the work, set the “Stop Work” field on lines with a work type of pick
Directive Code (Warehouse Management>Setup>Directive codes)
- Add unique directive codes to all puts except the final put on both the work template and corresponding desired location directives
Location Directives (Warehouse Management>Setup>Location directives)
- The location directives are used to find locations for the inventory during work creation based upon both the inventory and the work template
Menu Item (Warehouse Management>Setup>Mobile device>Mobile device menu items)
- A menu item with a mode of “work” and the work creation process set to one of the purchase order receiving options are used to receive the inventory
- A menu item with a mode of “work” and the “Use existing work” flag selected are used to complete the work if the inventory is received but not put away
If you have questions about how to set up a multi-step receiving process in Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R3, contact us.